I suggest you ...

Build on new tag

Whenever I push code to my master branch (for example), a new build commences, but if I push a new tag, nothing happens.

How I was able to get by this was using an extra branch (called “release”) and the builder fetches the version of the app that I am building, creates a tag, and pushes it.

It would be great if I could just simplify my process by not having that release branch and simplifying the build process by removing the above mentioned code.

Both CircleCI and TravisCI support this.

69 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin MartinKevin Martin shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Max EkmanMax Ekman commented  · 

This would be great. Any status on the feature?

• Anonymous commented  · 

It is a shame such a core piece is missing in Wercker. All major CI platforms support this.

• Brian HicksBrian Hicks commented  · 

This would be great. To release our open source software we tag a commit. As-is, we would have to push an empty commit that contains the tag to get Wercker to build and push the software correctly. We would much prefer to just push the tag.

• Robin SpeekenbrinkRobin Speekenbrink commented  · 

With the new pipelines feature, allowing a pipeline to start not just on any commit to the repo, but i.e. on a pushed new tag (or any tag and allow the regex to match as a qualifier) would allow us to have the following workflow:
        - start the regular workflow (build -> test -> deploy to pre-production)
        but also when (automatically / manually) tagging a new `release`:
        - start a new workflow (`build from tag` -> test -> deploy to production)

Currently the only way to achieve this is by either using the `branch`-hack OR by hadding custom made steps to the original pipeline which manually checks something in the repo and continues the workflow by pushing it to production or something... which again seems hackish...

Any thoughts?

• StepanStepan commented  · 

In general I would like to see tags support in Wercker - from displaying correct tag info on Builds listing, build triggers settings for tags, exposing this information inside the containers as variable

Feedback and Knowledge Base